Friday, September 11, 2015

Know each other's job

Well, I left the house, as the doctor had ordered, although I don't believe I left the way she intended. With my loss fresh and wound cut deep, I gathered things and packed the Casita and truck, and called friends. I hitched the Casita and was ready to go the night before leaving. The morning of departure, I found my hands shaking. Dogs jumped in the truck with enthusiasm which helped my mood. Gathering all the strength I had, with trembling hands, I grasped the steering wheel and headed out on my first lone journey. Charley set me up well. While we had our departmentalized jobs in our relationship, I was keen to learn his and he mine. Knowing each other's job allowed me to do this, to take our Casita, Tara, out by myself.

The trip did add a distraction from my current state of mind. It also showed me I could do it, even though I knew I could. Doing it made it just made it a reality.


So my advice for all you in joint-travel mode adventures, whether pulling a Casita or something else, is to know each other's jobs. Know how to pack, to hitch, to drive, unhitch. Know what needs to be done on the inside: closed, turned off, buckled down. That way, you can continue because if your partner in life is like mine was, s/he would want you to continue.
Dawn in Dixon, NM (Odin and Cassie at the ready)

8 comments:

  1. Blessings to you and your travels. You are brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are courageously following through...you've inspired me to try my hand at all the outdoor things on our next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really not that difficult. That's why we bought the Casita so I could be able to manage it.

      Delete
  3. Eloquently composed and well thoroughly considered.
    Resumeyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John Sun. Life definitely goes on. I continued my adventures, took several long trips (4,000 and 5,000 miles). I met a lovely man at a fiberglass trailer rally. We have now bought a home in Oregon. Travel on!

      Delete
  4. Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome. hotmail sign in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure which images. They look fine on my end. Thanks for the heads up anyway, I'll keep looking.

      Delete