Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Glass Ceilings and Bravery

Breaking the glass ceiling is not just for working women trying to get into executive positions but also for women who travel by themselves. When telling people of my plans to . . .
head out in my Casita trailer with my two dogs to Michigan to visit with friends/family I was told by several people how brave I was. While I understood where they were coming from, I also know that this comment would not be said to a man undertaking the same trip. 'Be careful,' is more likely to be the comment. I received that also.

But brave? Am I brave? I am doing what Charley and I had started. We bought the Casita because it is easy to handle, fuel efficient, and in a small space--has everything. We kept asking each other that if something happened to one of us would the other continue? We both would respond with the affirmative. So that is what I'm doing; I'm keeping my promise. Also, it's use it or lose it, got to keep the rhythm fresh to check off things.

So why Michigan? This was on our agenda before...well, you know. It would have taken place in October rather than now. But it has taken all this time to get things in order.  I did that very first trip just about two weeks after Charley passed. That was difficult, to say the least. This time I've done one trip by myself so here I go again. I'm still shaky but I am able. I know my Casita, the truck, the set-up and take down process. I can do this. As I type this I am staying in our favorite campground on my first night out on the road: Valley of Fires BLM just outside of Carrizozo, NM. There are going to be a lot of firsts this year as I tread on areas where I have been with Charley and now I am alone. But there are so many touches of him everywhere. He is still with me, in my memory, the way I do things, the way I talk and think. That makes the trip that much easier. Continue with me on this journey. I hope to keep posting during the trip to embolden the shy, to help you travel vicariously, or you to just to wish me well. Thanks for reading.

15 comments:

  1. Safe travels Kamala, hope the weather is cooperative all the way to Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo for going solo! Or, as solo as one can be with two dogs ...
    Is there a way to subscribe to your blog?

    Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazz, first I want to thank you for your support and comments. Second, on the right-hand panel, scroll down to "Want to be notified when entries are added? Follow by email" Enter your email, then go to your email and accept by clicking the link that is sent.

      Delete
  3. This is great! Looking forward to keeping up with you, Kamala! --David and Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfectly good adventure you have planned! Good for you for not being detoured by others and for sharing your thoughts along the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kamala,

    You end with thanks for reading, we say thanks for writing. Tailwinds ;) x x
    Marten and Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I've been experiencing the very same things: bravery comments, continuing to live fulltime in the Casita, feeling Jeff is with me on another adventure. YES, we can do it. Our men knew we could even if others have doubts. I'm heading to Oklahoma City today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our spirits crossed so close. I'm in Halstead, KS tonight. We'll probably meet up at the Fiberglass rally in Quartzsite, AZ. Be safe, my friend.

      Delete
  7. Dear Kamala, Safe travels. I only found your wonderful blog a few weeks before Charley died. I recall reading your stories and the joy you both shared in your life and journeys. It resonated with me because my mate and I have always loved the land and the road, going back to over forty years ago when we used to snowshoe backpack and camp in upstate NY where we met. Our 2015 Casita will be ready for us next week, and we're both excited for the opportunities of shared travel adventures, trips like you and Charley shared, together, and for us through you blog. There are no words, only feelings; I wouldn't begin to know what or how you're feeling, but I commend you for putting one foot in front of the other, waking up each day, and finding a reason to be good to yourself and move forward. I wish you well, Kamala, and perhaps someday our paths will cross.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got this. And, you are brave. A now dear friend, which we met six years ago in Capitol Reef, had driven from Louisiana without unhooking or backing up her Casita. It was her first outing. She is now quite talented in all things to do with RV'ing, including boondocking for weeks. Safe, and fun, travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be traveling in the future on my own with two dogs in a small travel trailer. I look forward to your posts and wish you well. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is awesome to travel with animals. I am glad you still feel Charley's prescence, and remember him in some many ways.

    E.V.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am overwelmed with the responses. Thanks everyone for your support! It takes away some of the aloneness. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Safe travels. Next spring I plan to do the same with my black lab Ebony. It's been 2 years since my husband passed .
    Recently got a small rv. Look forward to your blog.

    ReplyDelete